CalPortland® recognized for its sustained leadership to protect the environment
Glendora, CA, April 2, 2018 – CalPortland® is proud to announce that it has been awarded the 2018 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award for continued leadership and superior contributions to ENERGY STAR. CalPortland’s accomplishments will be recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2018.
“CalPortland® is proud to receive its fourteenth consecutive ENERGY STAR® Award”, said President and CEO of CalPortland, Allen Hamblen. “As an ENERGY STAR Partner since 1996, CalPortland remains committed to demonstrating and promoting energy efficiency within the construction materials and manufacturing industry. Our corporate energy management team and employees, continue to lead by example and advocate for innovative solutions that provide energy efficiency and cost reduction while reducing our company’s environmental impact. CalPortland is committed to solving tomorrow’s challenges today, through the advancement of sustainable materials and renewable technologies.”
“The 2018 ENERGY STAR Partners of the Year have demonstrated real leadership, showing how American families and businesses can save energy, save money, and reduce air emissions,” said EPA Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation, Bill Wehrum.
CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its unwavering commitment to high-level leadership in energy management throughout the company. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Reaching a 16 percent improvement in 2017 from a baseline year of 2003 for cumulative savings of $109 million.
- Promoting energy management across the U.S. cement industry through the CEO’s leadership of the trade association and an offer of the company’s assistance to others in the industry.
- Earning EPA’s ENERGY STAR plant certification for two cement plants where one was recently purchased and required extensive upgrades and energy improvements to qualify in less than two years.
- Expanding energy management into its fleet of ready mix concrete trucks by 118 units that run on compressed natural gas (CNG). The new trucks replaced a diesel fleet and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 7,435 tons per year.
- Continuing to invest in operations through new plant hardware such as a high efficiency separator for a mill, efficient new equipment to improve raw feed processing, and computational fluid dynamic software to better manage process air and material flows.
- Developing innovative methods for training employees and motivating them to manage energy in their work.
- Outreaching extensively to inform employees, over 106,000 community members and schools, competitors, and others on how they can manage energy and use ENERGY STAR to save.
This is the fourteenth consecutive (2005-2018) recognition by U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR for CalPortland, a feat that has never been matched by any other U.S. building materials manufacturing company.
In 2016 alone, ENERGY STAR certified products, homes, buildings, and plants helped Americans save over $30 billion in energy costs and approximately 400 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity and while achieving broad emissions reductions.
The 2018 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Awards are bestowed upon companies and other organizations demonstrating continued leadership in energy efficiency and commitment to the ENERGY STAR program. Winners hail from small, family-owned businesses to Fortune 500 organizations – representing energy-efficient products, services, new homes, and buildings in the commercial, industrial, and public sectors.
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, ready mixed concrete, aggregates, concrete products and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. Founded in 1891 with the principle of providing unsurpassed quality, CalPortland remains a leader in the industry through its commitment to quality, safety, customer service, technical excellence and environmental leadership. The company maintains its headquarters in Glendora, California and operates in the Western U.S. and two Canadian Provinces. For more information about CalPortland Company, visit www.calportland.com .
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency. For over 25 years, EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. Join the millions already making a difference at energystar.gov. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at energystar.gov/about and energystar.gov/numbers.
Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500®—rely on their partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. Together, since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have helped save American families and businesses over $450 billion and over 3.5 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity while also achieving broad emissions reductions—all through voluntary action.