Award Ceremony 2011 US EPA ENERGY STAR Award
CALPORTLAND COMPANY ACCEPTS U.S. EPA 2011 ENERGY STAR® SUSTAINED EXCELLENCE AWARD
April 15, 2011
CalPortland awarded its 7th consecutive national ENERGY STAR Award for protecting the environment through energy efficiency.
Glendora, CA – April 15, 2011 – CalPortland Company has accepted the 2011 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in recognition of its continued leadership in protecting our environment through energy efficiency. CalPortland’s accomplishments were recognized at an official ceremony in Washington, D.C. on April 12, 2011 where Bob Perciasepe, Deputy Administrator, U.S Environmental Protection Agency presented the 2011 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award to Allen Hamblen, President/CEO CalPortland Company, and the CalPortland Energy Management Team.
CalPortland, an ENERGY STAR partner since 1996, was honored for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency. The company continues to be a strong leader in managing energy and in promoting the benefits of energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR to industrial companies throughout the U.S. This is the seventh consecutive year CalPortland has been awarded a national ENERGY STAR award with the last five awards being for Sustained Excellence. This is a feat unmatched by any other U.S. construction materials company. Recent accomplishments include:
• Reducing overall energy intensity by 4.6 percent resulting in the prevention of 32,888 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions and decreasing absolute energy consumption by 14 percent over the previous year.
• Conducting 144 energy efficiency projects expected to save over 21,000,000 kWh or an estimated $2,323,000 per year.
• Working with senior executives of national building material manufacturing associations to promote good energy efficiency practices and encourage them to promote participation in the ENERGY STAR program among their members.
• Being instrumental in engaging the ready mix industry in ENERGY STAR and supporting the development of energy management tools to aid this industry.
• Promoting the value of strategic energy management practices and ENERGY STAR to more than 139,000 individuals through the sponsorship of community events, plant tours, open houses, school presentations, and the company's annual Energy Management Summit.
• Implementing a fleet energy management program to reduce truck idle times and improve the fuel efficiency of its mobile equipment.
• Working downstream within the company's energy value chain to assist customers in managing energy in their operations.
“CalPortland has established a core culture of energy management that includes all levels of the company’s operations. Company employees are proud of their accomplishments to improve energy efficiency, reduce emissions and promote good energy practices to the rest of the construction materials industry through our partnership with ENERGY STAR” said Allen Hamblen, President and CEO, CalPortland Company.
CalPortland received the ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for advancing comprehensive energy management across its energy value chain. CalPortland’s leadership and long term commitment to energy efficiency demonstrates the types of accomplishments that can be achieved in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting our global environment.
About CalPortland Company
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete, concrete products, aggregates, asphalt and construction services in the western United States. Founded in 1891 with the principle of providing unsurpassed quality, CalPortland remains a leader in the industry through its commitment to quality, customer service, technical support and environmental leadership. The company maintains its headquarters in Glendora, California and operates in six states in the Western U.S. and two Canadian Territories. For more information about CalPortland Company, visit www.calportland.com or call 626-852-6200.