Colton, CA Cement Plant Awarded US EPA ENERGY STAR PARTNER 2008
March 1, 2009
US EPA Awards CalPortland Colton CA Cement Plant with Energy Star®
Glendora, CA March 1, 2009 CalPortland Company announced that its cement plant in Colton, CA was recently honored by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency with the award of the prestigious ENERGY STAR® for 2008 in recognition for its outstanding contributions to Leadership in Energy Management.
“CalPortland is committed to helping protect the environment through our energy management program and sustainability practices,” said Jim Repman, President and CEO. “Our long standing partnership with ENERGY STAR shows our organization’s commitment to energy efficiency. We understand that partnering with ENERGY STAR is an important step in improving the environment.”
This is the 3rd ENERGY STAR Award received by the Colton Cement Plant in the past 3 years. To qualify for the award a cement plant must receive a minimum score of 75 of a possible 100 on the Energy Performance Indicator (EPI) and show continual compliance with other environmental regulations. The Colton Plant score for 2008 was a perfect 100.
Over the past year several new energy efficient initiatives and projects were implemented.
• The Colton Plant partnered with their electrical utility company to perform a plant-wide energy assessment that identified $2.4 million of energy savings opportunities. The plant is currently implementing many of these projects
• The plant has completed a high efficiency lighting retrofit program in their offices, warehouses and shop areas.
• The plant has an aggressive motor management program that installs premium efficiency motors and variable speed drives to reduce equipment energy consumption.
• The Colton Plant has significantly reduced compressed air usage by optimizing compressor operations, reducing air demand and pressures and eliminating leaks.
• Several energy efficiency capital projects are underway including the installation of a high efficiency milling system and the construction of a new efficient shipping terminal.
• Colton operates two waste-heat boilers that take hot gases from the kiln process and generate 4 megawatts of electricity.
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete and concrete products, aggregates and asphalt in the western United States. Founded in 1891 with the principle of providing unsurpassed quality, CalPortland remains a leader in the industry through its commitment to quality, customer service, technical support and environmental leadership.
The company maintains its headquarters in Glendora, California and operates in six states in the Western U.S. and two Canadian Territories. For more information about CalPortland Company, visit www.calportland.com or contact Sue Patane, Vice President Communications at 626-691-2505.
66 articles, Page: 1 of 17
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb., 5, 2015 – Matthew Hinck, environmental manager, CalP...
Glendora, CA April 3, 2014 – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EP...
GLENDORA, CA — Catalina Pacific Concrete/CalPortland successfully produced...
GLENDORA, CA — Catalina Pacific Concrete, A CalPortland® Company is gearing...