Washington, D.C. April 20, 2015 – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded CalPortland with a 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award for their continued leadership in protecting our environment through superior energy efficiency achievements. CalPortland’s accomplishments were recognized by EPA in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2015 where they were honored for their long-term commitment to energy efficiency.
CalPortland’s energy program has matured significantly since its formation in 2003. This is the 11th consecutive year that EPA has awarded the ENERGY STAR® to CalPortland. This year CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for the company’s advancement as a global leader in the promotion of best energy management practices throughout industry. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
• Saving 29 billion British thermal units over 2013, and reducing energy intensity by 16 percent since 2003. Cumulative energy reductions have amounted to $73.1 million.
• Achieving CalPortland’s President’s 2014 $1 Million Energy Savings Challenge which motivated all employees to implement energy-saving ideas.
• Developing an innovative company-wide concrete truck fuel efficiency program with fuel control stations, realtime truck production management systems, new technologies, and improvement of driver habits and truck management.
• Promoting ENERGY STAR globally through CalPortland’s leadership positions in industry associations, by making presentations on behalf of ENERGY STAR throughout the United States and internationally, and by directly mentoring ENERGY STAR partners.
• Engineering a clinker cooler replacement project at the Rillito cement plant with expected energy savings of over $2.6 million per year.
• Leveraging strategic communications on energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR for over 6.3 million advertising impressions, 530,000 website visits, and outreach to over 124,000 members of surrounding communities.
“Through their sustained participation with ENERGY STAR, CalPortland is helping Americans save money, save energy, and do their part to reduce our nation’s greenhouse gas emissions that fuel climate change,” said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy. “I applaud CalPortland for earning EPA’s highest ENERGY STAR award, the 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award, demonstrating a strong commitment to energy efficiency and to preserving a healthy planet for future generations.”
The 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a variety of organizations to recognize their contributions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions through superior energy efficiency achievements. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program, including energy-efficient products, services, new homes, and buildings in the commercial, industrial, and public sectors.
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, ready mixed concrete, aggregates, concrete products and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. Founded in 1891 with the principle of providing unsurpassed quality, CalPortland remains a leader in the industry through its commitment to quality, safety, customer service, technical excellence and environmental leadership. The company maintains its headquarters in Glendora, California and operates in the Western U.S. and two Canadian Provinces. For more information about CalPortland Company, visit www.calportland.com.